Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids for the WHOLE BODY!
Hello all! Last week we talked all about the immune system. We would like to take a look into Omega 3’s this week. This fabulous nutrient is ALSO necessary for proper immune system function. Your body needs Omega 3’s for proper cellular function. This means it can be beneficial for the WHOLE body!
Three Omega-3’s Found In Food:
There are three main Omega 3’s that are found in our food. It is critical to receive them through our diet or through supplementation because our bodies do not naturally produce Omega 3 . Here are the three different types:
Alpha-linolenic Acid (ALA): This plant-based Omega 3 is found in green leafy vegetables, flaxseeds, chia seeds, avocados and walnuts. ALA is known as a short-chain Omega 3. This means your body has to convert it into longer-chained fatty acids, such as EPA and DHA, in order to synthesize it. The body needs ample amounts of magnesium, zinc, B3, and B6 in order to complete this chemical conversion.
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA): EPA is found in oily fish, algae oil and krill oil. Your body is able to synthesize this molecule in its original form. EPA can be beneficial for lowering inflammation in the body. It is said that this form of Omega 3 is good to help minimize the symptoms of depression.
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): This is also found in oily fish, krill oil and algae oil. Your body will convert some DHA molecules back to EPA’s in order to keep them at fairly equal levels if you consume more DHA. DHA can be beneficial for the brain, eyes, and nerve health. It is fantastic to improve cognitive function!
Omega 3 benefits the body in various ways because it helps strengthen communication between cells. This enables the cells to block harmful substances from binding or entering the cell. It also assists the cell in DNA synthesis, which will help cells regenerate and renew. This is why it can benefit the body in so many ways! Here are a few listed below:
Omega 3 can assist the heart by:
- Lowering triglycerides and cholesterol
- Reducing high blood pressure
Omega 3 can assist the brain and mood by:
- Helping relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Can improve memory and cognition
Omega 3 can assist with inflammation by:
- Assists the immune system by enhancing cellular function
- Provides cellular protection from
Other Great Benefits
- Helps healthy brain development in infants and children
- Supports health bones and joints
- Can be extremely beneficial for Autoimmune Dis-eases
- Reduces risk of cancer and other inflammation based dis-eases
- Effective for ADHD
- Supports with various brain dis-eases
- Beneficial for gut heath (Leaky gut, IBS, etc)
- Prevents plaque from building up
As you can see, Omega 3 fatty acids are extremely useful for the body. Since it is hard to get the required daily amount from your diet, you can always try an Omega-3 supplement. Nordic Naturals is a high quality Omega 3 supplement brand to check out! They even have a vegan Omega-3 that comes from algae (which is how fish receive their Omega-3). New Chapter has a high quality Omega 3 supplement from salmon which naturally contains vitamin D3 (an essential vitamin that works together with Omega 3).
Things to consider:
- If you pair Omega 3 with probiotics and CBD you can get a trilogy of beneficial effects for brain, nerve and gut health (also great for pain management)!
- It can take about a month of supplementing with Omega 3 to feel the difference. Consistency and longevity is key!
- If you decide to take Omega 3 for pain or inflammation, a high potency Omega 3 will be most beneficial. Studies suggest a minimum of 1500 mg per day with high levels of EPA.
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body — if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.