Greetings! The summer is here! The heat is on! Are you making sure you are staying hydrated? We have some products to help you thrive during these dry hot summer days…
Electrolytes are minerals in your body that have an electric charge. They are present in urine, blood, and sweat. Here are the major electrolytes and the roles that they perform in the body:
- Potassium: Helping keep blood pressure levels stable, regulating heart contractions, helping with muscle functions.
- Magnesium: Needed for muscle contractions, proper heart rhythms, nerve functioning, bone-building and strength, reducing anxiety, digestion, and keeping a stable protein-fluid balance.
- Sodium: Helps maintain fluid balance, needed for muscle contractions, and helps with nerve signaling.
- Chloride: Maintains fluid balance.
Without proper levels of electrolytes the body will react in different ways– you may get a headache, feel nauseous, have diarrhea, confusion, muscle spasm, and more. It is not fun and by the time you are low on electrolytes and/or severely dehydrated you may feel very uncomfortable and helpless. The key here is prevention! You already know that you need to drink plenty of water but it’s also important to consider what your activity levels are and making sure you are replenishing the minerals along with plenty of water! They work together cohesively, so if the water you are drinking only contains low levels of these electrolytes or if you have any other health concerns that are causing an abnormal amount of fluid loss in the body (sickness, diarrhea, hormone imbalance, etc.) you may still be at risk of dehydration with low levels of electrolytes.
This mineral supplement brand is a great resource that can help you stay on top of proper hydration and mineral retention. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Electrolyte Stamina Power Pak: This is a convenient way of replenishing electrolytes as well as getting a high amount of vitamin C– mix one packet in water and drink! Great to keep your electrolytes in tact and helps boost the immune system. They are handy in the summer and winter months and they come in several different delicious flavors like watermelon, cherry limeade, acai, and more!
- Electrolyte Stamina: This is a fantastic supplement to keep on hand to replenish your electrolytes after excessive exercise or when you have been outside in the heat baking and sweating all day (let’s face it- 5 minutes of that heat can wipe you out fast!).
- Endure: Endure is a special blend of essential electrolytes your body needs to perform at optimum levels of energy, stamina, and hydration during competition or any strenuous activity. Proper hydration helps to reduce the incidence of muscle cramping and fatigue so you can endure longer. Plus it contains no sugar or additives to weigh you down. Simple and easy– add to water, juice, or shake, then drink and rejuvenate!
It’s kind of cool to think that your body contains electrical energy and that energy needs minerals and water to help sustain it– to keep the charge, so to speak. Lose the proper balance of those minerals and your body will start to short circuit– don’t wait til that happens, stay on top of it and form a plan to stay electro-lized!
**Fun Fact- When in need of a quick electrolyte replenishment, grab a coconut water– contains a healthy portion of electrolytes to quickly hydrate the body!
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.