This week we are going to talk about the infamous herb duo that is very well known to help treat the common cold. Echinacea and Goldenseal have been used for many years to help with all kinds of ailments– beyond the common cold. Let’s explore further…
This beautiful plant produces a pink-purple flower with a huge orange, red center like the picture featured above. The flower, stem, leaf, and root are all used for various ailments and remedies. It is most frequently known to help treat colds… Interestingly enough, it is most beneficial for reducing the symptoms of a cold or preventing them. It will not necessarily lessen the duration. What else can it be useful for?
- Helps prevent and reduce symptoms of the flu (contains antiviral properties)
- Inhibits the growth of candida/yeast (contains antifungal properties)
- Has been shown to help reduce acne, skin redness, and reduce inflammation in the skin.
- Helps reduce inflammation– decreases airway inflammation and expands air passages (fantastic for respiratory issues or infection)
- Can be beneficial to help rid the body of certain types of parasites
- Prevents normal cell death during chemotherapy, resulting in only killing off the cancerous cells (Super awesome!)
- Echinacea contains cannabinoids (just like the hemp plant) which can help relieve pain or mild anxiety
This well known herb was frequently used by Native American tribes as an herbal remedy. The medicinal parts that are often used are the leaves, stems, and roots. The root has a pretty golden tone to it, which could be the reason for its name. It contains berberine which can be useful for many ailments especially all things digestive related!
- Helps boost the immune system
- Effective for fighting the E.coli bacteria
- Helps relieve urinary tract infections
- Helps sooth an upset stomach
- Can help relieve irritable symptoms caused from stomach ulcers
- Supports healthy blood sugar levels
- Improves digestive issues (stimulates the appetite, aids digestion and encourages bile secretion)
- Has antimicrobial effects and can help treat the stomach flu and diarrhea
- Can be used to make a eye wash to help get rid of pink eye or help minimize inflammation in the eyes
- Drink as a tea to help relieve sore throats
Using both of these herbs together can be a powerful dynamic duo–especially to help remedy Bronchitis! You only want to use both of these herbs on a short term basis.
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.