This week we wanted to take a closer look into coconut oil. Why? Because what CAN’T coconut help with? We’ll cover some of the basics but if we went in depth, let’s just say it would be easier to explain what it CAN’T do.
Coconut oil contains healthy saturated fat called medium chain triglycerides (MCT). These MCTs contain Caprylic Acid, Capric Acid, Lauric Acid. Most fats in our diet are from long chained fatty acids. The medium chain triglycerides go straight to the liver and deliver the body with fast energy (they turn into ketones), unlike long chained fatty acids.
Forms of Coconut Oil–
- Virgin Coconut Oil (cold-press)– This type of coconut oil is good for internal and external use. (it will solidify when cold) This is typical unrefined coconut oil and will have a coconut flavor to it.
- Refined Coconut Oil- This coconut oils is great for cooking– it can handle higher heat and will not have a coconut flavor to it.
- Coconut Oil in Capsules– Convenient for taking coconut internally– you can avoid the flavor and use it on the go.
- Fractionated Coconut Oil– As soon as winter hits coconut oil will solidify but this one stays liquid all year long! It is great for topical use- on skin and hair. It can also be used as a carrier oil with essential oils.
- MCT Oil (derived from Coconut Oil)- Coconut Oil contains about 62-75% of MCT’s and some Long Chain fatty acids. The MCT oil is more concentrated in MCT’s making this a great oil to take internally specifically for energy or weight loss.
Benefits of Coconut Oil:
- Contains anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral properties
- Effective for acne or other skin ailments (topically- for non-sensitive skin or used internally)
- Great for overgrowth of candida/yeast (topically or internally)
- Has been shown to help rid the body of the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus (a very dangerous pathogen)
- Great for moisturizing skin because of the high amount of fatty acids
- Helps boost energy in the body
- Provides cognitive support- boosts focus and brain health
- Great for helping with weight loss (MCT’s will help as an appetite suppressant and will help deliver extra energy to the body to burn fat!)
- Increases metabolism
- Has been shown to be effective for preventing or limiting seizures
- Helps raise HDL (health cholesterol) levels in body (helps support healthy cholesterol levels.
- Helps protect the health of the liver and kidneys
- Can be beneficial for reducing arthritis in the body and inflammation
- Improves health of the GI tract and can help relieve and repair stomach ulcers and Ulcerative Colitis
- When taken with Omega 3, it can make it twice as effective
- Improves dental health especially when you swish it around in your mouth for up to 10 minutes (oil pulling)
- Moisturizes hair when put on wet or damp hair (can also be effective for dandruff or irritated scalp
*Fun Fact: Add a little bit of coconut oil to your dog’s food to help add shine and soften their fur.
**Coconuts can cause allergies in some people and animals so make sure you are not allergic prior to consumption– alternatively you can test a small patch on your skin first to see if you will cause any visible reactions.
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.