Hello beautiful people! This week we will talk about the revered Black Cumin Seed Oil. You may already have heard about it because it’s become slightly famous for all of it’s amazing benefits! Black seed oil has a long history of use dating back over 2000 years. In fact, according to some sources, it was discovered in the tomb of King Tut. There is a well known verse in the Quran that says– “use this black seed regularly, because it is a cure for every dis-ease, except death.” That being said, let’s see what it’s all about…
What is Black Seed Oil?
Black seed oil is harvested from the seeds of the nigella sativa plant. Due to its prevalent use in ancient Egypt, Black Seed has been labelled as the ‘Secret of the Pharaohs’. Native to the Mediterranean and Asian regions, it has been cultivated for over 3,000 years for a multitude of uses. Black Seed has been used by the ancient Egyptians to treat ailments such as digestive issues and inflammatory skin conditions such as rashes and bites. Its promising benefits were also noticed in other regions, where ancient Greek physicians recorded that Black Seed was administered to treat headaches, congestion and pain.
- Thymoquinon- An effective superoxide radical scavenger that helps preserve antioxidant enzymes that are helpful for cleansing the liver.
- Thymohydroquinone- Similar to Thymoquinone, this powerful nutrient is a potent acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor— AChE is a chemical that stops enzyme activity–causing havoc on the brain and leads to a handful of brain dis-eases/dis-orders.
- Thymol- A monoterpene that is also found in thyme oil and is a powerful phytonutrient that can be useful in many ways- such as a dis-infectant (viruses hate thymol).
Health Benefits of Black Seed Oil:
- Powerful antioxidant
- Helps prevent cancer
- Great for lung/bronchial support
- Supports liver health
- Cognitive support
- Fantastic for skin health
- Helps with hair health and growth
- Improves Fertility
- Effective treatment for infections
- Balances cholesterol
These are just a few defined benefits. This oil is a must have during the winter months and can save you from battling a long ugly chest cold or virus. Try combining it with turmeric to boost it’s powers even more!
It’s also fantastic for topical use. Need to rejuvenate your skin and add some glow to your complexion? Add a tiny bit to your lotion or directly on your skin and see how much your skin will love it! Great for all kinds of skin conditions such as dryness, acne, eczema, or psoriasis.
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.